Harbour Commission Building/Club 357c (1875)
357 de la Commune West, Montreal, Québec
2013 Ecclesiastical Insurance Cornerstone Award (Adaptive Reuse/Rehabilitation)
A landmark in Old Montreal since 1875, the Italianate style building was designed by Hopkins and Wily and operated as the Harbour Commission for 100 years before it was sold and used as a warehouse. In 1997, Daniel Langlois bought the property to restore and convert it into a private club and residence that includes a new rear pavilion for a pool and spa. The project involved painstaking exterior restoration (foundation, masonry, copper roof, cupola, doors, windows, ironwork and fences). Inside, work focused on conserving original wood finishes and replicating plaster work damaged by fire. Using materials such as Montreal limestone, the addition is both compatible with but distinguishable from the historic building. The result is an outstanding rehabilitation that preserves a historic landmark while discreetly integrating a modern addition that enhances the vitality of the building’s new use.
Owner: Propriétés Terra Incognita (Fondation Daniel-Langlois)
Architects: Fournier Gersovitz Moss Drolet et associés, architectes