The National Trust for Canada attempts to answer the many questions we receive each month on a variety of subjects relating to conservation, funding and membership.

  1. How do I become a member of the National Trust and what benefits will I receive?

It is easy to join the National Trust. You can do it online, or contact us by phone or email and we will process your membership.

For only $42, you will receive a one-year subscription to our acclaimed locale magazine, free admission to National Trust properties in England, Scotland, Wales, Australia and more, discounted rates for our conference, and the satisfaction of knowing that your contribution is helping us save places that matter in Canada.

  1. As a National Trust member what heritage properties can I visit for free?

Your member card gives your free access to 100+ historic sites in Canada, and free access to over 1000+ National Trust properties in England, Scotland, Australia, and more through the International National Trusts Organization’s visitation program INTO Places.

  1. Is the National Trust part of the federal government?

No, the National Trust is a national, membership based organization and registered charity established in 1973 by the Government of Canada. The National Trust is dedicated to promoting the conservation, understanding and appreciation of our nation’s heritage buildings, historic places and cultural landscapes.

  1. How do I find financial support for the restoration of my heritage property?

The National Trust is not a funding organization. An extensive list of potentials sources of government and private sector funding however, is available on our website. We also suggest that you consider funding programs administered by the Department of Canadian Heritage.

  1. What career and educational opportunities are available in historic conservation and restoration?

There are a number of institutions in Canada that offer post-secondary studies in heritage conservation. A description of existing education programs is available on our website.

  1. Where can I go to enquire about registering an historic property?

Parks Canada administers the Canadian Register, a searchable database containing information about recognized historical places of local, provincial, territorial and national significance.

  1. Who can I speak to about an endangered site or “at risk” property?

Start by directing your questions pertaining to a site or building at risk to your local municipal planning department. You can also post your questions on our Facebook page. Or nominate a property at risk to our annual Top Ten Endangered Places List.

  1. Where can I order Canadian flags and pins for my community event?

The National Trust is a non-governmental, registered charity dedicated to the conservation of historic places that matter in Canada. Your request should be directed to the federal Department of Canadian Heritage at 1-866-811-0055.

  1. Where can I find a contractor and/or trades people familiar with heritage properties?

The Canadian Association of Heritage Professionals has an extensive directory of heritage specialists in Canada. The Restoration Trades Directory also provides a directory of building artisans, contractors, designers and consultants in Canada and the U.S.

Stay in touch. Get our newsletter.