#ShovelReadyHeritage – Toolkit for Action
The Heritage Sector Wants to Drive a Green Recovery post-COVID-19
On April 23, 2020, the heritage places sector wrote a letter to five Federal Ministers recommending federal funding for heritage places to spur the economic recovery from COVID-19. Now we need your help to influence decision making.
To download the PDF version of this toolkit, please click here.
What Organizations and Individuals Can Do to Ensure Stimulus Funds are Earmarked for Heritage Projects:
Thanks in advance for doing one or more of these things without delay.
1. Contact Key Partners, Influencers and Decision Makers to urge their support AND request a phone call/meeting.
A draft message and email links are below. Consider attaching the heritage places sector letter sent to five Federal Ministers recommending stimulus funding, by downloading it and attaching it to your message. Find a draft cover message for your email here and send your message to some, or all, of the following, provided in order of priority:
The Premier and/or the Infrastructure Minister or Infrastructure Director in your province/territory:
To find Infrastructure Ministers and Directors:
To find other provincial Ministers or Directors in your province/territory: Heritage, Tourism, Culture
To find your Provincial MPP or MLA:
To find Municipal Mayors or Members of Council and/or the Association of Municipalities in your province/territory
To email key Federal Officials –
Your Federal MP – Find Your MP’s contact information
Other high-ranking federal or provincial officials in your region.
2. Crowdsource the list of #ShovelReadyHeritage Projects
Let’s crowdsource the list of potential construction projects at older and heritage places – repair, deferred maintenance, accessibility upgrades, additions, retrofit, emergency stabilization work – these can be projects that are ready to go, or could be ready soon – any projects that would create jobs for Canadians.
- Click here to share our pinned Tweet about the campaign to influence post-COVID-19 economic stimulus programs and encourage your followers to get on board! Simply ‘ReTweet’ or add your own comment (don’t forget to include the hashtag #ShovelReadyHeritage).
- Do you know projects? Fill out this form or send an email with the basic details to ShovelReadyHeritage@nationaltrustcanada.ca
- Do you know Developers, Faith Groups, local Governments who might have heritage places and construction projects that would create new jobs if stimulus funding were available? Share this tool kit with them and ask them to take action.
3. Make Noise on Twitter
Twitter is the best Social Media Platform to get political and media attention. You need an account. It’s easy!
- Use your Twitter account to share existing tweets: Go to Twitter, use the searchbar to find tweets that used the #ShovelReadyHeritage hashtag. Re-tweet as many as you like, especially those that are from your region, and be sure to ‘tag’ the PM and the provincial/territorial premier by including their Twitter handles (listed below) so that they will be notified about your post, like so:
Here are Twitter handles for the PM and provincial/territorial premiers to include in your tweets:
@CanadianPM – The Right Hon. Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada
@PremierScottMoe – The Hon. Scott Moe, Premier of Saskatchewan
@fordnation – The Hon. Doug Ford, Premier of Ontario
@francoislegault – The Hon. François Legault, Premier of Québec
@StephenMcNeil – The Hon. Stephen McNeil, Premier of Nova Scotia
@BlaineHiggs – The Hon. Blaine Higgs, Premier of New Brunswick
@BrianPallister – The Hon. Brian Pallister, Premier of Manitoba
@jjhorgan – The Hon. John Horgan, Premier of British Columbia
@dennyking – The Hon. Dennis King, Premier of Prince Edward Island
@jkenney – The Hon. Jason Kenney, Premier of Alberta
@DwightBallNL – The Hon. Dwight Ball, Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador
@CCochrane_NWT – The Hon. Caroline Cochrane, Premier of the Northwest Territories
@Premier_Silver – The Hon. Sandy Silver, Premier of Yukon
@JSavikataaq – The Hon. Joe Savikataaq, Premier of Nunavut
- Create your own posts to share #ShovelReadyHeritage projects. Tag key politicians by including their Twitter handles in the post, so they will be notified of your tweet. Like so:
This #ShovelReadyHeritage project at [name of site] will support my community’s economic recovery. @CanadianPM @nationaltrustca [tag your own provincial premier and MP]
[Name of site] is ready to build a green future; we have a project that is #ShovelReadyHeritage. @CanadianPM @nationaltrustca [tag your own provincial premier and MP]
This #ShovelReadyHeritage project will create green jobs and support community resilience. @CanadianPM @nationaltrustca [tag your own provincial premier and MP]
- More Twitter accounts to mention:
4. Participate in ‘Gatherings of the Heritage Sector’
Don’t miss the next ‘gathering of the heritage sector’ on the first and third Tuesday of the month at 12:15 pm ET. You are invited to join these teleconferences with a pan-Canadian working group of volunteers, leaders and champions to keep the conversation going on federal, provincial-territorial stimulus for heritage places. Register here
5. Want to Talk?
National Trust contact information:
Manager, Heritage Policy & Government Relations
National Trust for Canada
T 613-237-1066 ext. 227