École des Métiers de la Restauration et du tourisme de Montréal (1888)
1822 Maisonneuve Boulevard W, Montreal, Quebec
2015 Ecclesiastical Insurance Cornerstone Award (Adaptive Reuse/Rehabilitation)
The former Victoria School is a rare surviving example of a 19th century school in Montreal. It was named for Queen Victoria in celebration of her Golden Jubilee in 1887, when the foundation stone was laid. The school comprises three adjoining buildings: the central Queen Anne style mansard and a small residence, both dating from 1888, and a three story gymnasium added in 1911. The school served as a primary school until 1979, and later as the home of FACE (Fine Arts Core Education). By 2009, when the Commission scolaire de Montréal endeavored to convert it into a hospitality and tourism school, it had been vacant for several years. Architects were tasked with restoring the historic facades and roofs of the three buildings, partially restoring their interiors, redeveloping the site and upgrading the buildings to achieve LEED Silver certification. The project was guided by the principles of green design, informed by the school’s heritage. That the building changed little over 125 years as its surroundings were transformed from a rural landscape on the outskirts of Montreal to a dense urban environment make it an excellent example of durability and sustainable design. As part of the site redevelopment, a green alley was created to reflect the school’s rural past.
Owner: Commission scolaire de Montréal and City of Montreal
Architects: Affleck de la Riva architectes / Vincent Leclerc et associés, architectes en consortium