Mackenzie House was the last home of Toronto’s first mayor, William Lyon Mackenzie, and is located downtown just steps from theatres, the Eaton Centre, and Yonge-Dundas Square. The museum interprets urban Victorian life of the 1860s and the evolution of democratic institutions through the lens of Mackenzie as a writer, publisher, politician, and rebel.
The site includes the original three-storey brick, Greek Revival row house (originally the centre of three row houses, built circa 1858), and a one-storey addition which houses a narrow gallery space, a recreated print shop, and reception/gift shop that was added by the City in 1967.
Visit Mackenzie House and view the changing character of the neighbourhood from Victorian row houses to modern condominiums at the heart of Canada’s largest city.
82 Bond Street
Toronto History Museums, City of Toronto