Gifts of Stock or Property
Give the Gift of Stock
Gifts of appreciated stocks, bonds, and mutual fund units to the National Trust are exempt from capital gains taxes, making this an effective strategy for wealth management and estate planning.
The list of securities this exemption applies to includes:
- Shares listed on most Canadian and certain foreign stock exchanges;
- Prescribed debt obligations;
- Shares of the capital stock of a Canadian public mutual fund corporation;
- Units of widely held Canadian mutual fund trusts; and
- Interest in related segregated fund trusts.
You will receive a tax receipt for the fair market value of your donation in the amount of the closing trading price on the day we receive the security.
Give the Gift of Property
Donations and bequests of heritage property may be accepted, normally on the condition that endowment funds are also provided to support their maintenance. Property may also be accepted for investment purposes with the understanding that it may be sold and the proceeds used to fund the National Trust’s programs.
Need more information? Call Natalie Bull, Executive Director, toll-free at 1-866-964-1066 ext. 222 or email email@example.com